Adult Braces: Are They Right for You?
We typically assume that patients in need of braces are children or teenagers. However, if an adult never corrected a misalignment in the past, their dentist or orthodontist might recommend adult braces.
Has an oral health professional suggested that adult braces might be necessary to correct a misalignment of your teeth? If so, it’s best to listen to their advice, as undergoing treatment now can result in better overall health in the long run. In the meantime, the following guide will help you understand why adult braces may be right for you.
Adult Braces: Options to Consider
Adult braces come in a variety of forms. They include:
- Metal braces: Traditional braces use metal wires and brackets. An orthodontist may recommend such braces to correct a wide range of different types of malocclusions.
- Gold braces: Gold braces work the same way that metal braces work. The only difference is their color. Some find that the gold or “champagne” hue of these braces blends in more naturally with the color of their teeth, allowing for a subtler effect than traditional braces.
- Clear brackets: Clear brackets are even more discreet than gold braces, making them a popular choice among adults who might associate the appearance of braces with teenagers or kids. Clear brackets can offer a more “mature” effect.
Additionally, some patients may be candidates for Invisalign. Unlike braces, Invisalign allows patients to correct misalignments by wearing clear plastic aligners that push their teeth into place. An Invisalign aligner is, as the name implies, virtually invisible in a patient’s mouth.
That said, Invisalign isn’t for everyone. According to a study in the journal Progress in Orthodontics, Invisalign is effective as a form of treatment for mild to moderate dental misalignments. More severe malocclusions may require braces. Your orthodontist can assess the severity of your misalignment to determine whether Invisalign is a viable option for you.
Reasons to Get Adult Braces
Take your orthodontist seriously if they recommend getting adult braces. Adult braces can guard against such health issues as:
- Tooth decay, as overlapping teeth can be difficult to thoroughly clean
- Sleep issues
- Tooth damage, as a misalignment can result in excessive wear on certain teeth
Additionally, getting adult braces can correct a misalignment that might currently have a negative impact on your appearance. By proceeding with treatment, you can improve both your health and your confidence.
Speak With Your Orthodontist About Adult Braces
Remember, the best source of information on this topic is an orthodontist. A professional who has the opportunity to examine your dental misalignment will be able to thoroughly explain the benefits that adult braces can offer to you.
Learn More About Adult Braces in Dona Ana County, NM
At Legacy Smiles Orthodontic Specialists, in Las Cruces, NM, we offer braces to patients of nearly all ages. If you’re a candidate for adult braces, we’ll gladly answer any questions you may have about your treatment. Get started today by contacting us online or calling us at 575-522-1500 to request an appointment.